Before we could start our week, the students brainstormed what they already knew about winter, and what they wanted to learn. This helps us frame what we are going to do and learn in the next few weeks.
Additionally, this week the students took a big step in owning their writing by making their own lines and starting their writing independently. When we write in our journals, we count how many words we are writing. For example, "I went to eat pizza" (5). Usually I help the students count and make the lines, this week they all tried it on their own and rocked it!
We also learned one new blend in Jolly Phonics- oa.
1. building a winter setting in the block corner
2. retelling our Snowmen at Night story by sequencing the events and acting it out
3. creating a winter scene with oil pastels and water colors
4. using loose parts and pattern blocks to make snowflakes
5. making fake snow in the sensory bin with baking soda and shaving cream!
The students visited each center throughout the week and had so much fun collaborating and creating!